Wednesday, September 10, 2014

10 Sept 2014 "Service is how we forget ourselves"

      This week we did lots of service as usual here in Ash Flat Arkansas. I am so glad that I get to serve here.  The people are fantastic. Sadly, I have not met all the people yet but hopefully in the next couple weeks we will be able to meet them all.

       I am so blessed to have such an amazing Mission President.  He kept it short and to the point when he told me that my Grandma Jan had passed away. At the time I was standing on a ladder painting a neighbors house. There are so many Tender Mercies in this world.  I really think the situation and where I was and what I was doing was super inspired.  I was able to calm myself down by serving someone else through the rough.  I was talking to my companion about what happens when we die that morning.  I had some time to think while I was painting and it put me at peace with it all.

      I Love the Atonement and how much of my purpose as a Missionary is to help people understand how to use the Atonement in there lives. We were teaching the M Family (they are amazing recent converts) after fishing and we taught about the Atonement and how we all get judged.  We can look at it two ways, one we can give up or two we can make a difference and let our light shine which will eventually give them nothing to judge you by.  I love the M Family.  I am in good hands and expanding my family because that is what we do on earth.  The people we affect are the people that affect us.  All become our family.

      I know that Service is how we forget ourselves.  My hands are torn, my brain is tired, my arms are sore, and my back is killin'.  However; I hardly notice it when I realize that I am able to help people in ways I never thought possible. I am just a man. I hurt. I do have pain.  Being a Missionary does not make you unhuman like some Members may think. It teaches you to control the beast inside better then ever before.

      I am so glad that I am out here and able to see the progression in others as they feel the spirit and make covenants and try hard to keep them.  These are the days that I have been looking for.  To help others, which in turn makes me grow and see more light.  You can not help someone travel a path that you have not been on.

                                   Love
                                          Elder Caldwell 

No comments:

Post a Comment